[lbo-talk] Has the Left Gone Mad?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Aug 4 14:26:14 PDT 2006

Joel Schalit wrote:

> I agree with Doug. All of the criticisms of LeVine's article which
> took this position are objectionable because they inevitably help
> usher in - or legitimate existing - theocratic social systems which
> are equally violent, undemocratic and discriminatory. Backing
> Hezbollah and Iran because they are the only agents actively fighting
> against US/Israeli imperialism is thus wrong. That's the difference
> Doug is talking about.

This will be my last on this for awhile.

We are engaged in a huge battle over the coming decades with the nightmare of u.s. imperialism. Civilized politics consist in uniting all that can be united to defeat this threat to the very continued existence of humanity as a species. The center of the conflict now, and probably for many years, is the mideast. In struggling against u.s. power and its catspaw Israel the peoples of the mideast are serving us all.

That is the matrix within which further thought on u.s. left politics must develop.

Carrol