[lbo-talk] The netroots delivers yet again...

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 07:44:59 PDT 2006

On 8/6/06, Colin Brace <cb at lim.nl> wrote:For Carrol:

* Right-Wing Noise Machine

You should know Carrol's pov by now. Smash the Democratic Party, the left-wing of the bourgeoisie that keeps a Real Left from emerging.

This is the David Brock book. Media Matters for America, like MoveOn, exists solely to do agitprop vs. the "radical right GOP extremists" on behalf of keepinfg liberal and progressives in the DP.

** So-Called Liberal Media

Eric Alterman book. Another shill for the DP. See under, "Useful Idiot."

From http://www.firedoglake.com/2006/08/05/reason/ >...Joe's strategy now seems to be to heckle and abuse Ned and hopefully throw him off his game...

As I just read on right-wing National Review http://sixers.nationalreview.com/ "Waaaaaaaah" [Stephen Spruiell 08/04 06:12 AM] The pro-Lamont blogs are now whining because Lieberman supporters have started showing up at Lamont's events and heckling him. Jane Hamsher — who just two days ago was asked by the Lamont campaign to remove a photoshopped image of Joe Lieberman in blackface from the Huffington Post — wrote on her blog that at a Lamont event yesterday, the Lieberman supporters "really went beyond the pale in the nasty department."

Without even getting into the stuff Hamsher said about NR's Kate O'Beirne earlier this year, Hamsher has been just one of many pro-Lamont bloggers who have heckled Joe Lieberman throughout his campaign. She has accused Lieberman of supporting "rapist rights" because of his opposition to laws that would compel Catholic hospitals to provide the morning-after pill to rape victims. And in the post that was originally accompanied by the blackface graphic, she wrote, "I'm thinking that will be me with my hand raised asking questions at the [anti-Wal-Mart] rally."

Although I didn't see Hamsher raising her hand, I did hear several of her fellow Lamont supporters heckling Lieberman throughout his speech with the false accusation that he took a $1,000 campaign contribution from Wal-Mart's PAC. And instead of whining about it, Lieberman halted his prepared remarks to rebut the hecklers, who didn't have much to say after Lieberman categorically denied the substance of their charge.

For goodness sake — these are the people who are following around Lieberman's campaign in a truck with a giant float of Joe Lieberman and George W. Bush kissing, who have heckled Joe Lieberman at every opportunity on this campaign. From what I've read, the Lieberman supporters didn't get out of line. They just responded to Lamont's campaign by using the same tactics — for instance, asking Lamont at one of his rallies yesterday if he was an "Al Sharpton Democrat" or a "Bill Clinton Democrat" (Is that what this campaign is all about? Shudder). Lamont's supporters — who majored in Street Theater at Anti-Capitalist U. — don't seem to like it when the other side fights back. Either that or they're just trying to distract the national media, which have finally started examining their tactics.

Now It's A Rovian Conspiracy [Stephen Spruiell 08/04 06:39 PM] Jane "Blackface" Hamsher smells something "extremely Rovian" emanating from the Lieberman camp. Specifically, she thinks the reports that Lieberman is scrapping his GOTV plans in the face of certain defeat are part of a conspiracy to suppress pro-Lamont turnout by making Lamont supporters think that the election is in the bag.

Riiiight. Creating the impression that your candidate is doomed is Politics 101. I'm reminded of all those times Karl Rove told the national press that Kerry was going to win in a landslide.

Sen. Joe on Lamont's Stock [Stephen Spruiell 08/04 12:55 PM] I just asked Joe Lieberman about the Washington Times report today that Ned Lamont owns tens of thousands of dollars of Wal-Mart stock, even though Lamont spoke very critically of Wal-Mart at a rally earlier this week.

Lieberman responded: "I don't know that to be a fact, but it doesn't surprise me. He's criticized my votes on energy legislation, but he owns stock in oil companies. He criticizes the war but he owns Halliburton stock. So while I didn't know that, it doesn't surprise me."

Lamont's supporters were quick to criticize Lieberman when they thought he had taken a $1,000 contribution from Wal-Mart's PAC (a charge that turned out to be false). But don't expect to see them turn on their candidate, even after he has been exposed as both a financial supporter and a financial beneficiary of a company that they see as an emblem of corporate evil.

Lobbyists for Joe [Greg Pollowitz 08/04 04:28 PM] MyDD.com has found that the pro-Lieberman heckler Stephen posted about earlier today is a DC based lobbyist for the chemical industry.

-- Michael Pugliese