[lbo-talk] Bush frames Israel/Lebanon conflict as struggle against "Islamo-fascism"

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 12:11:23 PDT 2006

On 8/7/06, B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Bush: "This is the beginning of a long struggle
> against an ideology that is real and profound. It's
> Islamo-fascism."
>

> --------
>
> Transcript: Bush, Rice news conference
>
> By The Associated PressMon Aug 7, 11:17 AM ET
>
> And it takes a lot of work. This is the beginning of a
> long struggle against an ideology that is real and
> profound. It's Islamo-fascism. It comes in different
> forms. They share the same tactics, which is to
> destroy people and things in order to create chaos in
> the hopes that their vision of the world become
> predominant in the Middle East.

Who made this transcript? He did not say "Islamo-Fasicism" but "Isl... [stutter stutter] Islamic Fascism." He obviously didn't get the Hitchens code phrase and couldn't get it out of his mouth....

I repeat, this whole incident started because
> Hezbollah kidnapped two soldiers and launched rocket
> attacks. And it's been unfortunate that people on both
> sides of the border have lost life.

This lie was repeated three times in the press conference. And now it seems there is no official commentator who questions it. As you all know by now, not only were there many cross border raids, violations of air-space and kidnappings by Israel before the two Israeli soldiers were captured - the only kidnapping that counts apparently - but Israel stated bombing civilians before the Hizbollah launched its rocketts. The thing is, I clearly remember this in "real time" when it was happening. But not one single commentator on NPR (where I listened to the news conference) bothered to make even the minor correction about when the rockets were launched. The history has already been written as far as the U.S. audience is concerned.

Jerry -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060807/cd7532c8/attachment.htm>