[lbo-talk] Re: HRW on same-sexers in Iran

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 08:40:00 PDT 2006

Again, http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20060731/043046.html http://www.gaycitynews.com/gcn_529/thebattleoveriran.html Volume 5, Number 29 | July 20 - 26, 2006 HUMAN RIGHTS The Battle Over Iran Severity, nature of anti-gay persecution divide rights groups, activists, journalists EDITOR'S MEMORANDUM

http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20060731/043050.html http://leftbehinds.blogspot.com/2006/07/doug-ireland-vs-iran-and-yasmin-nair.html

Doug Ireland vs. Iran and Yasmin Nair and Daniel Drennan and Joseph Massad Over at the Queer Fist board ( http://www.queerfist.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss, I sub. lots of denunciations of gay marriage as heteronormative and reprints of Workers World Party agitprop ) , queer activists/writers Doug Ireland, Yasmin Nair, and Daniel Drennan have been in a war of words about protests commemorating the first anniversary of the public hanging in Iran of Mahmoud Asgari and Ayaz Marhoni, two teens who may or may not have been lovers but who were convicted of raping a boy... <SNIP> Continues at moderate length.

The Joseph Massad piece in Public Culture, noted, seems to me a anti-homo pomo polemic. Shades of the Homintern gibe.

Joseph Massad's "Re-Orienting Desire: The Gay International and the Arab World." Public Culture - Volume 14, Number 2, Spring 2002, pp. 361-385

Critique of the anti-homo pomo Joseph Massad article, http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~arno/massad.html

Doug Ireland thanked me for sending him that piece. queersforpalestine at yahoo.com had the eloquent, "FUCK IMPERIALISM!, " in reply on the quewerfist listserv, as if the author, Arno Schmitt was say Niall Ferguson.