[lbo-talk] Re: Dorothy Healey, RIP

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 08:59:50 PDT 2006

Jim Straub>...Mike Davis told me all these cool stories about dorothy healey, she used to kick him out of meetings for being an 'anarcho-trotskyite' and then later that night have him over to her house to eat tv dinners and talk about labor. Sigh.

Clare Spark, a friend of Suzi Weissman, member of Solidarity (biographer of Victor Serge) who has a show on KPFK on Russia, a former programmer at KPFK where Dorothy had her long running Sunday show, "Marxist Commentary, " once heard Dorothy berate Suzi for dominating KPFK with, "Trotskyites." Old CPUSa habits die hard.

Regardless a remarkable lady.

http://web.mac.com/richardhealey/iWeb/Dorothy/Comments/Comments.html
>From Marc Cooper
August 9, 2006 Dorothy Healey was among the most extraordinary individuals I have ever met. By the first time I sat down with her in her living room in South Central Los Angeles, as a 16 year old in 1967, she was already the most notorious Communist in Southern California. As a youngster, I heard her name taken in vain on more than one occasion by my fuming parents. But there she sat in front of me, sucking on a pipe of all things, her bluish-gray eyes alternately widening and squinting at me and I admit to Read More...

>From Peter Dreier
August 9, 2006 Friends,

Few progressive activists under 60 will know the name Dorothy Healey -- who died yesterday at age 91 -- but she was a remarkable organizer and activist. Tiny in stature, she was a charismatic and inspiring speaker, a feisty firebrand with a great sense of humor, who began her activism as a teenager and persisted through her late 80s. The obituary in today's (Tuesday's) LA Times is reasonably thorough, but doesn't really capture the energy and enthusiasm that was so forceful and Read More...

-- Michael Pugliese