[lbo-talk] All Hail the Lamont Campaign Staff!!!

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Aug 9 17:41:51 PDT 2006

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 17:54:29 -0400 "Jerry Monaco" <monacojerry at gmail.com> writes:
> On 8/8/06, mike larkin <mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > ....i know them all: coolest bunch of lefties
> > anywhere. Let's help put them in power!
> >
> > __
>

> Mike,
>
> The campaign staff might be nice and generally wish for a better
> world, but
> frankly Mike I don't get it. Why work up enthusiasm over a guy who
> has a
> moderately liberal program? He might be a good protest vote but
> what else
> is he? Eugen Mccarthy in his time was a genuinely contradictory
> conservative in a very classic sense, and a good protest vote
> against the
> way. Lamont is a genuinely middle of the road liberal and a good
> protest
> vote against the war. Is there any reason to think otherwise?

None that I am aware of, even though as Marty Peretz reminded us the other day, he is from the stock of Corliss Lamont. But despite Marty's best efforts to smear and redbait Ned in this manner, there is no indication that his politics are anything but a tepid liberalism, much more in the tradition of Thomas Lamont than in the tradition of Corliss.

Jim F.