[lbo-talk] All Hail the Lamont Campaign Staff!!!

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 9 21:38:07 PDT 2006

--- Jim Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 17:54:29 -0400 "Jerry Monaco"
>
> > Mike,
> >
> > The campaign staff might be nice and generally
> wish for a better
> > world, but
> > frankly Mike I don't get it. Why work up
> enthusiasm over a guy who
> > has a
> > moderately liberal program? He might be a good
> protest vote but
> > what else
> > is he? Eugen Mccarthy in his time was a genuinely
> contradictory
> > conservative in a very classic sense, and a good
> protest vote
> > against the
> > way. Lamont is a genuinely middle of the road
> liberal and a good
> > protest
> > vote against the war. Is there any reason to
> think otherwise?
>
> None that I am aware of, even though as Marty Peretz
> reminded
> us the other day, he is from the stock of Corliss
> Lamont. But
> despite Marty's best efforts to smear and redbait
> Ned in this
> manner, there is no indication that his politics are
> anything
> but a tepid liberalism, much more in the tradition
> of Thomas
> Lamont than in the tradition of Corliss.
>
> Jim F.
>

> > Jerry

He's a solid progressive, well to the left of most other Senators. That's worth a couple cheers. Plus my friends on his campaign staff are not just "nice," they're hard-nosed ball busters who helped bring down a Repub gov and passed all sorts of progressive legislation in CT. They're poised to do the same in DC if they can get there. That's worth a couple of beers, and I've had some tonight, so good night now from the People's Republic of Connecticut.