[lbo-talk] All Hail the Lamont Campaign Staff!!!

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 15:19:45 PDT 2006

On 8/10/06, mike larkin <mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Sheesh. I see a guy whose progressive credentials are solid and from
> personal conversation he's anything but a "bastard." And again, you judge a
> guy by the company he keeps, and his top people are solid leftists.
>
> As a recovering Naderite, I hereby repudiate my past ultra-leftism and
> officially embrace Lamontism, a new rightist tendency. Shoot me.

Well after I wrote my first note I actually read his stated program and his stated program is pretty bad compared to what I would hope for from an unabashed liberal. What can I say. I take Lamont at his word. It is kind of sad that you can't just accept that you can vote for him, campaign for him, hope he "sends a message," without indulging in the usual illusions that any elected official ever does anything without fire to his feet and fear in his heart by organized and mobilized people. Use Lamont to organize and mobilize if you like. I think it is a good idea as a matter of fact. But he has a social program I would have been embarrassed to compare to a liberal 30 years ago. I heard him over the radio the other day even afraid to admit that the war (his one "progressive" issue) was illegal and immoral.

I have nothing against voting or even campaigning for Lamont. I have something against delusions.

By the way, if a Republican was running against the war, I would consider voting for him for the same reasons I would consider voting for Lamont... just so he was not an extreme racist, sexist or jingoist. It is about all we can ask for from such people.

I take glee that Leiberman was defeated. It couldn't have happened to a more despicable guy. But if Lamont gets into the Senate, you tell me will he try to implement his program? If he tries to implement his program and is not just cynical then he is a regular political bastard. If he is just cynical and will actually go out of his way to try to work for a single payer health care plan and free education through college for all, etc., instead for his lousy program, then maybe he is a bastard that will get something done like LBJ.

Jerry