[lbo-talk] Liberate Doug from Old Fogeyism! - was/ videogames

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Aug 11 16:18:17 PDT 2006

B. wrote:

> Every moment I sit playing a video game I feel like
> I'm probably wasting my time and should be reading
> something. Maybe that's just me. Like I said, Red
> Faction seemed kind of cool. And I know it's an older
> game (meaning 4 years old), but I know it generated
> enough outrage to have a few Xtian sites condemn it.
> (In the game you're a working class miner on Mars
> who's determined to fight back against the exploiting
> corporation who's made you a slave, with your
> fellow-ly exploited comrades).
>
> Having said that, I just cannot spend much time on my
> PS2 the way I could watching interesting, culturally
> relevant movies ('Why We Fight," etc.) or just reading
> a good book.

I just saw another news item today about how young people are abandoning TV for the Internet. This is great news. On the other hand, the gaming industry can be just as centralized and corporate as TV.

Video games and TV fill similar functions for me these days. I'm watching more TV this year and I'm playing games less. I typically watch reality shows like Project Runway, Top Chef or Iron Chef. I also watch soccer, baseball (the KC Royals), edutainment TV and lately lots of CNN and Star Trek reruns.

I watch the Daily Show religiously every night.

I've gone through several years without owning a TV, so I can compare and contrast why I'm watching versus life without TV.

For me, video games and TV function as escapism, relaxation, and intellectual stimulation. I don't do drugs and rarely drink, so I need some method of relaxation and escapism. I've found that video game playing instantly takes my mind off of problems, reduces stress, and can solve the rare anxiety attack.

TV and games can become time-wasting activities, but I've also found that these activities are pretty helpful in moderation.

After all, you can't spend all day reading LBO-talk!

Chuck