[lbo-talk] Liberate Doug from Old Fogeyism! - was/ videogames

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sat Aug 12 04:56:43 PDT 2006

B. wrote:

> Every moment I sit playing a video game I feel like
> I'm probably wasting my time and should be reading
> something.

Well, most examples of any art form are second-rate, but the best videogames are truly extraordinary works of art. I find there's something about the ability to actually interact with the onscreen action which is deeply satisfying -- you can't do that with film or video. And it doesn't even have to involve a complex storyline, e.g. Katamari Damacy. It's the delight little children display while running around: pure absorption in use-values.

-- DRR