[lbo-talk] putting quackery to the test

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Aug 11 21:34:25 PDT 2006

Carrol Cox wrote:

>joanna wrote:
>

>>Interesting you mention leeches. They are synonymous with medical
>>quackery in most everyone's minds, but the New Yorker ran a terrific
>>little article last year about how medical science is discovering that
>>it has absolutely nothing to beat the ability of leeches to
>>clean/cauterize and help heal wounds of a certain type.
>>

>Two points about this.
>
>1. The use leeches were put to (bleeding) was not exactly quackery but
>merely a bad guess by pre-scientific medicine grounded on false
>premises. So that is not really relevant to the present discussion.

Not exactly a bad guess more like if leeches are good for X, then they're good for Y. Modern medicine does this too, for example, using antibiotics as a cure-all. From what I remember about the New Yorker article the modern use was also the ancient use; the older use just kind of went overboard.

I really am NOT (and neither is ravi) arguing that one form is good and the other is invalid. We're BOTH responding to an article that dismissed "alternative" medicine and we've argued that the modern medicine also has its failures -- some of them quite spectacular.

When one ideology replaces another, the concept of what "science" is also changes and its proponents try to discredit older forms of science as quackery and totally invalid (concealing how much they are in fact carrying over from the older science). If you look at the history of science, which is older than the Renaissance, this is very clear.

Sometimes "scientists" reject perfect valid hypothesis because of their association with an older science. For example, Galileo rejected the moon's influence on tides because of all the various powers the moon had been previously assigned, many of which were bogus.

However to say that older forms of science were affected by ideology while modern science is not is, well, completely false.

One day people will look at shock therapy, hormone therapy, and the widespread use of antibiotics and conclude that we were complete idiots. That is, assuming anyone is still alive after the superbacteria get us.

Joanna