[lbo-talk] putting quackery to the test

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Sat Aug 12 06:48:26 PDT 2006

At around 12/8/06 12:34 am, joanna wrote:

> I really am NOT (and neither is ravi) arguing that one form is good and
> the other is invalid. We're BOTH responding to an article that dismissed
> "alternative" medicine and we've argued that the modern medicine also
> has its failures -- some of them quite spectacular.

Joanna, I fear that by playing along with this rephrasing of the debate (reversing the actors and criticizing me/us for asking for the throwing out of establishment medicine, whereas it is the original article that proclaimed "No Alternative" that explicitly and implicitly asked for the throwing out of something), we are on a slippery slope of answering "have you stopped beating your wife" type questions (I must mention however that Andy F in particular has been wonderfully honest and kind in his responses, while still putting my claims and reasoning under strong scrutiny).

John Thornton expanded on the other significant issue in this matter (cost) and its influence on the decision of the "faith" following their "messiah". I hinted at the same by mentioning the various considerations that people (who are not 'idiots', I suggested) use, including cost. I gave an example of the person in India who turns to Ayurveda. His relationship with his medical care provider is as complex as that of an equivalent individual and establishment medicine. To reduce this to messianic faith, etc, only serves the purpose of an insult.

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to do: http://platosbeard.org/