[lbo-talk] Bush admin pressed Brits to arrest suspects

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 13 19:31:35 PDT 2006

Just because these clowns are abusing the existence of terrorist activity to make political hay doesn't mean there isn't real terrorist activity out there. I'll stand with the presumed innocent view, and wait till the government makes it case, but you should get real, Carl, there a bad people out there who blow up planes and buildings and trains. They should be stopped.

Sorry if I sound like a stuffy legalist, but I am really not particularly happy about the thought of doing nothing until the next 9/11 or 7/7 happens just because sleazy politicians use the fact of terrorism for propaganda, Obviously I don't support a "war on terror," I have said from the beginning that this should be treated as criminal activity. Seems to be that so far the Brits are handling this one about right.

As for Doug on the timing -- don't you think bin Laden et al. _want_ Bush, Blair, and their militaristic friends to win? Their wars are the greatest recruiting tools the al Qaida and its associate groups have, and democratic ideals hated throughout the Muslim world. If I were an Islamist planning a terrorist attack, this is exactly when I'd plan it -- to give Bush and Blair the biggest boost I could.