[lbo-talk] Iran: World Bank Gender Stats

sepideh koosha sepidehkpfalsb at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 16 09:59:07 PDT 2006

Nobody can really understand the situation of women in Iran without really studying Iranian cinema. And by Iranian cinema, I don't mean directors like Tahmineh Milani and her crowd. Iranians have been expressing themselves and their politics through movies for the past 20 years. Directors like Kiarostami and his film 10 is the best example of the situation of women in Iran.

I attended Ganji's talk in UC Berkeley regarding Gender apartheid in Iran. As Ganji himself admitted these stats say one thing, but the reality of society is another thing. For example, in Islam men can marry four wives, but almost no men really has more than one wife because it is not socially acceptable. Iranian women are not victims and are struggling on daily basis for their rights. Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

On Aug 16, 2006, at 9:57 AM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> In any case, what Iranian women have achieved ought to be publicized
> better, so that Americans and others can see that it is worth
> defending from the threat of economic sanctions and worse.

I'll be interviewing Val Moghadam in about 2 hrs - any questions you'd like me to ask her.

One can be object to sanctions without getting starry-eyed about the Iranian regime. Just like Iraq.

And why is one of the world's biggest oil producers a lower-middle- income country? Its income & social indicators are on a par with Peru.