[lbo-talk] Iran: World Bank Gender Stats

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 16:40:52 PDT 2006

On 8/16/06, sepideh koosha <sepidehkpfalsb at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Nobody can really understand the situation of women in Iran without really
> studying Iranian cinema. And by Iranian cinema, I don't mean directors like
> Tahmineh Milani and her crowd. Iranians have been expressing themselves and
> their politics through movies for the past 20 years. Directors like
> Kiarostami and his film 10 is the best example of the situation of women in
> Iran.

I haven't seen 10 yet, but now that you mention it, I will soon.

Women in Iran do look like caged birds if we only look at films by Tahmineh Milani, Jafar Panahi, etc.

What about Rakhshan Bani Etemad?

> I attended Ganji's talk in UC Berkeley regarding Gender apartheid in Iran.
> As Ganji himself admitted these stats say one thing, but the reality of
> society is another thing.

True, stats on women's labor participation rates, economically active women, etc. for instance, tend to undercount women in rural areas, women in the informal sector, etc. It's not like women who don't show up in stats are doing only housework.

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>