[lbo-talk] RIAA delays case against dead man

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Fri Aug 18 05:03:26 PDT 2006

At around 18/8/06 7:26 am, Sujeet Bhatt wrote:
> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/91837/riaa-delays-case-against-dead-man.html
>
> Monday 14th August 2006
> RIAA delays case against dead man 10:52AM
>
> A grieving family in America does not, after all, have to answer
> charges relating to illegal file sharing. For 60 days. The Recording
> Industry Association of America has shown its softer side by applying
> for a stay in the copyright violation case against Larry Scantlebury
> who died in June of this year.
>
> <...>
>
> The case is the latest example of the RIAA's take-no-prisoners
> approach to pursuing file sharers who, it believes, are violating the
> copyrights of its members. The members include the biggest music
> companies in the world, such as EMI, Sony BMG, Warner and Universal.
>
> Despite previous PR disasters such as suing a 12-year old girl,
> telling a student to drop out to pay its fines and suing a family that
> doesn't own a computer, the RIAA still stands by its determination to
> 'vigorously pursue' illegal file sharers.

IIRC, the RIAA has since dropped the lawsuit against the dead guy['s estate] (thanks to adverse publicity generated by the initial BoingBoing report, echoed elsewhere).

I believe the RIAA lawyer called their action (in delaying their action by 60 days) arising from something like 'overabundant generosity'.

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to do: http://platosbeard.org/