[lbo-talk] Walmart flak Andy Young joins the Gibson-Allen brigade

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sat Aug 19 08:32:08 PDT 2006

Doug writes:

> Young's remarks were stupid, but they obscured a valid point - poor
> people pay small businesses enormous markups at retail, and Wal-Mart
> offers some relief from that.

Well, they are usually called 'convenience' stores, so there's a bit of that in the price. Small store owners in 'poor neighborhoods' obviously can't price goods the way WMT can; so what is to be done? It seems odd to take a side in this issue: do you support the small business owner who shoulders the risk but charges high prices, or do you support the low-price-leader whose other practices make you ill?

I remember living in the East Village when K-Mart moved in; more choice, lower prices, but at what cost?

# [after playing out all possible outcomes for Global Thermonuclear War] # Joshua: Greetings, Professor Falken. # Stephen Falken: Hello, Joshua. # Joshua: A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. # How about a nice game of chess?

/jordan