[lbo-talk] Walmart flak Andy Young joins the Gibson-Allen brigade

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Aug 19 08:02:36 PDT 2006

On Aug 18, 2006, at 10:04 AM, Robert Naiman wrote:

> Nice apology. Sorry, I should have said, In _Atlanta_, the Jews, the
> Koreans and the Arabs rip us off. Actually, I was just refering to my
> neighborhood.
>
> Mel Gibson, George Allen, Andrew Young. Every other day, it seems,
> another establishment bozo shoots himself with public racism. Is it a
> sign of the end times? It's enough to make one look forward to waking
> up in the morning. Who's next?

Young's remarks were stupid, but they obscured a valid point - poor people pay small businesses enormous markups at retail, and Wal-Mart offers some relief from that. Of course, WMT's employment practices suck, but if you're a poor person, you might welcome some alternative to the petit bourgeois on the corner.

Doug