[lbo-talk] A question for the anti-"conspiracy"-theorists about 9/11

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 14:34:19 PDT 2006

Oh Zeus! Listen, John, Carrol, Chuck (and sometimes Ravi),

I hope you know by now that I think that these 9/11 conspiracy narratives are highly unlikely and based on "wishful thinking." They in fact make me angry because it shows how deeply apolitical and off the point so many "left-liberal" US citizens are.

But, I have to present a stronger defense to this "racist" bandwagon, so now I find myself defending people who I think are screwy thinkers.

How do you know these people are racist? Have they expressed it to you?

Don't be so ready to accuse these conspiracy obsessives of anti-Arab racism. They often point out that it is anti-Arab racism that the Bush-regime used to convince the rest of "us" of the "official story."

In other words it is they who accuse people who too easily believe the official story of anti-Arab racism. This flinging about of the idea that so-and-so is racist, or such and such is a racist story, without good evidence, devalues the actual workings of white supremacy, etc.

Chuck, may have evidence of anti-Arab racism among some people that believe in these 9/11 conspiracy narratives. But I haven't seen that evidence. Until I do I prefer to concentrate on what I do know and can provisionally conclude; the nature of explanation that these narratives provide and the political function of the conspiracy narratives.

Finally, what of all the people in the Arab world who think that 9/11 was a Bush conspiracy. Are they self-hating Arabs? Before you accuse them of such "self-hatred" step back and think what flinging such accusations actually means.

Jerry