[lbo-talk] Democracy Now website

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Fri Aug 25 11:47:02 PDT 2006

At around 25/8/06 1:07 pm, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> Either the issue was cleared between the time you
> noticed and posted to LBO and the time I browsed over
> there or the problem lies with your copy of Firefox
> (among other possibilities).
>
> As a first step, I suggest clearing your browser's
> cache.

I would guess that if it is a cache issue, it would be at the IE end. That is (can't write i.e., -- too confusing ;-)) IE did not refresh its cache and hence didn't catch the hacked version, while FireFox did. This does match my experiences (albeit with IE5.5) during the days when I actually had to write software that interfaced with users (shudder!) ;-).

I think (making a wild guess since I didn't see a hacked page either) that the problem might have been some rendering error in Firefox, though I am not sure why it would bring up bikini chicks from nowhere... though I wish it would... how come these things never happen to me... unless the original poster was pr0n surfing right before visiting Democracy Now, in which case I laud his priorities, but chastise him for not sharing the images with us...

Speaking of such things: I was listening to an NPR thingumashow the other day and it was about older women who have been "dumped" by their equally old husbands. One of the participants was trying to find an evolutionary reason for why this might cause rage, anger, enormous sadness, etc in the woman. Surely, there has to be a fitness advantage to anything that exists!

Which made me wonder if the Windows Blue Screen of Death has a fitness advantage in terms of software development and its use ;-). Surely it couldn't be a side effect of the complexity of things (such as programming). ;-)

--ravi

I guess the BSoD does provide the fitness advantage of the much required occasional reboot (to clear memory leaks and all other things that one is too busy or lazy to program for) and would just crop up in another form if the particular bug that triggered it is fixed!

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to do: http://platosbeard.org/