[lbo-talk] Womyn's Fest tells transgender women to ban themselves

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Aug 25 15:40:15 PDT 2006

info at pulpculture.org

peeing standing up!

^^^^ CB: Getting the toilet seat wet.

^^^^

anyway, you're not really serious about siding with the cultural-rads on this one are you?

^^^^ CB: You know them better than I do. I really did think that they might be thinking something along the lines of what I wrote. It's not that unreasonable, since what would such a festival be about but getting away from men for a while. But you say they aren't thinking that ultimately...

I mean frankly I can understand if some women "vant to be alone" for some times. Sometimes Black people just want to be around Black people. It has to do with a style of conduct. Girltalk is a famous thing. I'm guessing ( educatedly) that sometimes women just are more comfortable around women only.

^^^^^^

They are so politically retrograde and anti-marxist in their thinking ---

^^^^^ CB: Oh,... but still, I can't really hold 'em to that on that related to their festival. If they come out in support of the war(s) I'll criticize them.

^^^^^^

and really, ultimately not really concerned about what you're talking about -- that I can't imagine why siding with their discrimination against an oppressed minority is the right path to take. Because, let's face it, transfolks face an incredible amount of hostility in this society. A small subset of transwomen want to participate in the feminism they identify with -- coz, really, it's not for women, but for womyn who identify with their politics. And for that, they've taken a lot of shit -- mostly based on the claim that it's a patriarchal plot to take over womenspace.

foo.

^^^^ CB: Yea, but the womyn didn't say the transwomen couldn't buy tickets, but that they should self-check. That way, only those transwomen who are really sure about not stressing the womyn's concerns will go to the festival.

Is changing gender that easy ? Isn't an important point about social construction that it isn't easily changed ?

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org <http://blog.pulpculture.org/>