[lbo-talk] Chechen PM interviewed

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 27 09:52:02 PDT 2006

Moscow News August 25, 2006 Ramzan Kadyrov: "I Keep Everything Under Control" Military commanders and heads of teyps (clans) swore on the Koran to be loyal to the "Kadyrov cause" By Aslanbek Dadayev

Several days ago, Chechnya's Prime Minister Ramzan Kadyrov repeated for the umpteenth time that he had no presidential ambitions and in fact dreamed about leaving politics. His statement provoked extensive comment. According to some experts, Kadyrov's statement was the result of his meeting with Vladimir Putin who had strongly advised him to abandon the idea of presidency, at least for the time being. According to another view, his statement is little more than a political ploy, designed to demonstrate his loyalty to Putin and his readiness to submit to any Kremlin decision.

Ramzan Kadyrov granted an interview to Moskovskie Novosti.

You have been Chechnya's prime minister for almost half a year now. What have been the main achievements and the main failures of your government during this period?

I believe that the achievements are obvious to everyone. These include Argun without any traces of war, as well as the reconstruction of Gudermes and Grozny. Also, extra budgetary funds. The republic's 2006 budget was about 19 billion rubles [$703 mln], but I said that it was not enough. No one in our government believed in the success of my effort. Even my deputy said that unless we approved the budget, we would be left without a cent. I said that we are full-fledged citizens of Russia and that Russia is a democratic country. And I wanted more money for our republic or a formal refusal [from the federal government] to provide it. Now, iron heating stoves will be removed from our schools: An additional 600 mln to 700 mln rubles [$22 mln to $26 mln] has been provided for our schools. The Interior Ministry will get 400 mln rubles [$14.8 mln], and there will be more funding for municipal housing construction. In all, we received about 10 bln rubles [$370 mln] in extra funding. This is certainly an achievement by our government.

As for failures (laughs) - thus far I cannot see any. There are some shortfalls, but we learn from our mistakes. We only want to benefit the republic and the people.

In July, during a traveling session of the Chechnya reconstruction commission in Grozny, I met with federal ministers and asked them about their impressions. That was the first time they had come to the republic since December 2005. They told me they had not expected to see so many changes for the better.

The subject of Chechnya reconstruction is associated in the public mind with "kickbacks" to bureaucrats and outright theft. The Chechen reconstruction program has often been called a national "black hole." What is the situation now?

All of this time, we have had no control over the funds coming from the federal budget. The program has been supervised by the Chechnya Reconstruction Directorate. We have been receiving target-specific payments ? e.g., wages, pensions, subsidies, and allowances. As for the "black hole," this is a fabrication; it was made up by certain people. Since the time I became prime minister, I have been meeting with our law enforcement agencies to ensure that they fight theft to the best of their ability. Now we have our own Audit Chamber that will oversee the spending of funds. As for the word "kickback," I just hate it.

What are the financial sources of the Akhmat Kadyrov Public Foundation? Are you aware of allegations by your critics that public-sector employees in Chechnya have their wages withheld in favor of this foundation?

I do not want to offend all journalists, but some of them will write just anything for money. They are paid by Russia's enemies who do not want to see order enforced in the country, especially in the Chechen Republic.

The Akhmat Kadyrov Foundation was established by friends of my father, as well as my own friends. Many of them cannot often visit their homeland so they provide assistance to the republic through this foundation. These are, among others, Ruslan Baisarov and Umar Dzhabrailov; there are also friends abroad who are concerned about Russia. The foundation also engages in business activities. It does not have unlimited resources, but we provide apartments to people who really need them and we help restore houses. My father always wanted to help people. And we will continue his cause.

I would like to ask you to let me know if there is any evidence that some people are being forced to contribute to the foundation against their will.

You have asked that the Special Operations Unit of the Interior Ministry Directorate for the North Caucasus be pulled out from Chechnya. Why?

There have been numerous complaints about the unit. When some of its activities came to light, it was alleged that the unit was the only structure that did not obey Ramzan and so he wanted it moved out of the republic. What I really want, however, is that law enforcement officers serve the people, not build their careers by persecuting the innocent.

For example, in September 2001, a helicopter carrying a commission from the General Staff of the Defense Ministry was shot down in Chechnya. The person who downed it, Abu Walid's right-hand man, was killed in 2005. But the Special Operations Unit seized a young man from the town of Argun, who had never fired a gun in his life, and jailed him. He was forced to testify against himself, confess to crimes he had never committed. In another instance, they detained a Chechen Security Council official and beat him for five hours until he confessed to other people's crimes. I rescued him. I started fighting such practices. It does not matter to me who breaks the law - a gangster, a terrorist, or a uniformed officer. If he breaks the law, he is an enemy of society.

What is your comment on the June incident in Kurchaloi, when Chechen law enforcement officers cut off the head of a dead militant and displayed it at an entry point to the village?

In Kurchaloi, a special operation was conducted, as result of which one militant (Khozh-Akhmed Dushayev) was killed, while another (Adam Badayev) was detained. If there were any violations during the operation, they must be investigated by the prosecutor's office. There was a police officer there who did that [cut off the militant's head] to avenge the death of his brother and sister. I do not have any more information about this case.

Not long ago, a local TV channel aired footage of several military unit commanders in the village of Tsentoroi swearing on the Koran to be loyal to Ramzan Kadyrov. Yet many of them are under the command of the RF Defense Ministry and the Interior Ministry.

It was reconciliation day, a day of accord. Not only military commanders, but also heads of teyps [clans] and government members were there. We were all in the same room, where a holy prayer was read, and the people swore allegiance to the cause of President Akhmat Kadyrov. They consider me to be his successor. They swore that there would be mutual understanding and that we are a single team working toward a common goal.

Legally, you have no right to issue orders to them?

No, I am just an economic manager.

What would the troops under your command do should there be an outbreak of hostilities in Abkhazia or South Ossetia?

I am an avowed patriot of Russia. Allah willing, nothing will happen there. War has never done anything good for anybody. But if our forces are needed, we are ready to execute any order from the supreme commander.

Are you not afraid that the Chechens would become hostage to this new war?

A person is born to be a warrior - man or woman, this makes no difference. If a warrior has to defend his people, he will gladly lay down his life for them. But we want to live in peace and friendship with everybody else.

A month has passed since Federal Security Service Director Nikolai Patrushev declared an amnesty for gunmen willing to surrender and urged them to "take the side of the people." How many have surrendered so far?

Many lacked the courage to surrender not because they were afraid for themselves but because they were worried about their relatives. But now several people have returned from Azerbaijan. We are currently in negotiations with a group [of former militants] in Georgia. I have sent envoys to different countries. Even some of Maskhadov supporters in the Nozhai-Yurt and Vedeno districts have contacted us. I believe that the war will soon be over.

Do you think it would be possible to restore the Chechen-Ingush Republic?

Thus far I am just an economic manager. I do not indulge in politics.

But you will soon turn 30, on October 5.

The Constitution does not say that Ramzan should become president when he turns 30. I have absolutely no ambition to take this post. A president should be honest, clean and loyal to the Almighty. I am not thinking about this.

In other words, you are quite happy with your present status?

I am happy to be an ordinary person who can also serve his people.

You visited a social shelter in Chechnya and said that you were ready to adopt a child. How did it turn out in the end?

I now have a brother ? Vissita Akhmatovich Kadyrov. He is a Russian boy; he does not remember his father; his mother was killed in 2003 in Grozny. I talked with him and he agreed to become my brother. A few days ago, he received an internal passport, and he has already visited my home village where he met with my sisters, mother and daughters in law. He is a good chap, my brother Vissita.

The legacy of Kunt Haja, a 19th century Sufi sheik, is being actively studied in Chechnya. Are you a mureed?

I took this path because I am a mureed of Kunt Haja. When one Arab said that Kunt Haja was an informer, I started fighting the Wahhabites. That was in 1997. At that time there were no federal forces in Chechnya yet. But he insulted my ustaz [spiritual mentor.-Ed.]. Kunt Haja always called for peace, not war.

Are you planning to make the hajj?

Every Muslim should make the hajj if he can. God willing, I am going to make it this year. I am a true Muslim; I have been reading the Koran since age 5, and I keep everything under tight control.