[lbo-talk] Chavs

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 28 07:54:50 PDT 2006

As it happens, a good friend (or 'mate') of mine - hails from the UK and routinely calls himself a chav.

He's presently stationed, unhappily, in Los Angeles - aka 'TommorowLand' - living a high definition life American director Michael Mann ("Collateral", "Miami Vice") should script and commit to film.

Here's an excerpt from an email he sent to a group of my friends on the topic (used with mojito soaked permission):

This is something me and Dwayne have been chopping up on the side but the British "Chav" phenom kinda sums it up too.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav>

<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-1488120,00.html>

It's actually really complex because being a Working Class guttersnipe myself, I grew up -what was then called- a yob/yobbo/hooligan and would no doubt be a Chav now if I was born in the 70s/80s. As would my 'gang' of anti-social welfare state mates. Punk awoke a large portion of the Working White N-word (note...not Nigga) Class and suggested that there was more to life than to submit to the 'place' you were born into.

And for all intents and purposes, the White Working Classes were (and still are) treated the way Blacks are here because there really weren't any people of colour in the UK until the Commonwealth was invited to clean up Hitler's mess after WW2.

.d.

I never liked you Rusty...you were always a smart alec, a sass mouth and a bit of a giggle puss.

Dr. Impossible

...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/