[lbo-talk] Chavs

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 28 08:01:03 PDT 2006

To Bitch|Lab--

There was actually an NPR feature on Chavs recently. I've heard Chavs are the UK equivalent of "bros," but there's more classist undertones to "Chav" in England, like "white trash" or "redneck" here. (Think Eminem-lovin', track suit and medallion-wearing, tough guy posturing, ICP juggalo, but in the UK also with lots of brown plaid?)

For the American "bro," I recommend "Night of the Living Bros":

http://groups.myspace.com/nightofthelivingbros2

>From that page:

"But Bros aren't solely an American phenomenon, oh, no. In England they're known as Chavs, Chavettes and Essex Girls (the feminine counterparts), in Scotland these types are called Neds (Non Educated Delinquents), Iceland has Chocos, in Austrailia Bros & Bro Hos are called Brogins, and they have also been referred to as Billys, Thicknecks, Flatbillers, Chads, Chachis, Joeys, Tonys and Frosties elsewhere. But, in the end it's all the same -- grown men and women locked in a brotherhood of willful ignorance and bad style. We could refer to them as 'The Bro-therhood,' but they're simply Bros and Bro Hos to me.

"A Bro Ho? What is a Bro Ho, you might be wondering. Emma, a member from Long Beach, California, tells us a Bro Ho is also known as a Blouser: 'Those girls with blonde hair with dark streaks in it, ugg boot wearing, mini skirt flaunting, too much makeup from Nordstroms, a wife-beater in 30 degree weather, a trucker hat while wearing the above-stated outfit...and they're passed out after two drinks.' The Bro Ho is the favorite target of the Bro, and when he finds this target he is able to reproduce rapidly, in much the same way as a layer of scum on the underside of a rowboat."

Also: The Anti-Chav Society: http://groups.myspace.com/antichavsociety

-B.

info at pulpculture.org wrote:

"A few people have brought up chavs when they've commented on the blog. I was curious what people thought of the situation considering sites I come across like this: http://www.anenglishmanscastle.com/archives/000365.html"