[lbo-talk] Re: WMT goes orgo

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Aug 29 11:53:15 PDT 2006

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> Miles:
>

> --In short, the problem's not Wal-mart; the problem is the inevitability
> of Wal-mart style organizations in a capitalist economy.
>

> [WS:] I doubt. The problem with Wal Mart is two fold, policy choices made
> by government that create loopholes an labor and environment protection, and
> choices made by Wal mart management to exploit those loopholes. This can be
> supported, among other, by the fact that US corporations that supposedly
> cannot profit without paying substandard wages and cutting benefits in the
> US, somehow manage to do well in the EU where by law they have to pay higher
> wages and benefits. This means that they pay lower wages mainly because
> they choose to and can get away with it, rather than because "markets" force
> their hand.

In fact, Wal-mart's profit margins are smaller in the EU, and they have recently decided to sell off their operations in Germany. This is pretty simple, Woj: they pay low wages to increase profits, and if they can't pay low wages, they move their operations.

The point I want to stress here is that the problem with Wal-mart or Whole Foods or General Electric is the fact that the organizations are compelled to maximize profits in a capitalist economy. The politics or beliefs of the capitalists are surprisingly unimportant; capitalism requires owners to put an Orwellian boot in the face of workers again and again and again.

Miles