[lbo-talk] Re: WMT goes orgo

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 29 13:21:25 PDT 2006

Very little of the demand for organic food comes from hippies or their ilk. Not none of the demand, just very little and they are not a major concern to most in the industry. Hippies, or more importantly denouncing hippies, seems to be of more importance to this list than it is to any of the companies in the organic food supply chain. Organic food is seen as premium food and is for a large percentage of the market a class signifier. It is seen as a premium brand as much as anything else. It is also heavily purchased by individuals who are paranoid about toxins in the food supply. Just as they are worried about cancer caused by high voltage power lines. They are more frequently right-wing liberatarians than they are hippies. With few exceptions most purchasers of organic food do not glorify labor and are more than happy to have low wage Mexican migrants pick the food so the price isn't any more exorbidant than it already is. They care not if the farm is simple and idealic or not. The people enraged by WM selling organic are far more concerned about eroding the value of the premium label than they are worried about any loss of quaintness. The concerns you write of are extremely marginal.

John Thornton