[lbo-talk] hippies (Re: WMT goes orgo)

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Tue Aug 29 19:33:11 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 29 August 2006 22:03, info at pulpculture.org wrote:
> For those of you around at the time, part of the New Left, what did you
> think about what was going on? Did you feel the hippies were a problem?
> Join on board?

Back in the day, I never met a hippie who wasn't deeply contemptuous of hippies.

I was one such myself, in a small way.

Lapsing dismally into seriousness here: "hippie" was a media category -- if memory serves, Time magazine originally came up with the term. People who had long hair and smoked dope and slept around, back in '67 or so, were more likely to refer to each other as "freaks" or "heads". Once our phenomenon had been identified, and named, and characterized in print, we had to either embrace the definition or fight it. One convenient way of ranking on newbies was, of course, to use the media term -- oh, she's just another hippy chick. Cute, though, and that red hair...!

It was a weird muddle of politics, and culture, and even product choice, back then. But it always is, isn't it? Do I recall correctly that the first stirrings of the women's movement in the US were all mixed up with spiritualism and temperance (and give me spiritualism any day, he says, hoisting a glass of claret, and not his first).

Some of the hardened cadres on the more political end were very contemptuous of the cultural end. But they, too, wore second-hand Army jackets, and grew their hair long, and, far more often than not, smoked dope. I don't remember too many SDS types with blue blazers and crewcuts.

-- --Michael J. Smith --mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org