[lbo-talk] hippies (Re: WMT goes orgo)

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Aug 30 10:26:41 PDT 2006

I thought it was a beautiful tribute too. Ravi, like Chuck G, painted a wonderful picture of that drop of time.

It's not black and white. I remember a hope and a missed chance.

At its best, it reminded everyone about love and earth and peace. It nourished the nascent ecological movement, the body work therapies, the grasp for consciousness. It sought to obliterate class divisions. It scoffed at ownership. It flouted the logic of aggression and competition.

At its worst, it alienated the mass of people that had to continue to labor for a living and it devolved into the psychobabble of the next thirty years.

I would not be unhappy to see them again, except that under current economic conditions, they would become indistinguishable for the mass of beggars we call the homeless.

Joanna