[lbo-talk] hippies

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Wed Aug 30 13:24:10 PDT 2006

"Michael J. Smith" wrote:

> Lapsing dismally into seriousness here: "hippie" was a media category --
> if memory serves, Time magazine originally came up with the term.

This is correct. It is quite remarkable how many social categories (some of them with no content whatever) were invented by Time -- and as in the case of "hippies" social reality, while never really conforming to the Time-created archetype, did edge in that direction. This was my reason, in an earlier post, for referring to "Hippies" as belonging to myth rather than history.

Carrol

^^^^ CB: Also it derives from "hip" and "hipster" , which were Black slang.