[lbo-talk] hippies

Michael Hoover mhhoover at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 06:40:28 PDT 2006

On 8/30/06, Charles Brown <cbrown at michiganlegal.org> wrote:
> > "Michael J. Smith" wrote:
> > Lapsing dismally into seriousness here: "hippie" was a media category --
> > if memory serves, Time magazine originally came up with the term.
>
> CB: Also it derives from "hip" and "hipster" , which were Black slang.

my father had bobby darin's 'live at the copa' album when i was a kid, liner notes included a glowing newspaper revew of the performance, writer of the article referred to audience members as hippies, if i recall picture on the album cover correctly, the audience was comprised of what appeared to be relatively affluent white folks, guess the 'hippy' reference meant 'in the know' (or would that be 'now') and 'with it' maaaaan, album was early 60s... mh