[lbo-talk] LBO 2008 Dem POTUS poll

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Dec 1 00:09:26 PST 2006

> On Nov 30, 2006, at 12:41 PM, Michael Pollak wrote:
>
>> I think the real revelation here is that Al Gore turns out to be lbo-talk's
>> IRV choice.
>
> If you overlook the fact that head-drilling has twice as many votes.

(a) That's not at all a surprise, but pretty much exactly what I expected; and (b) you're not overlooking it -- you're taking number 2 because number 1 can't serve.

And it's exactly that combination that defines lbo-talk's considered judgment: the vast plurality of us think that all the choices suck beyond belief. And given that, and allowed to express that, our choice is Gore. And our message would clearly be: we're think you're the best of a bad field. But our real desire is that you'd go far beyond the given array of choices. In case you're interested, FWIW.

There use to be a tiny movement to get "None of the above" allowed as a choice on the ballot. By itself, it was just one more half-funny novelty idea. But in conjunction with IRV, it would seriously be an innovation that improved it.

As the situationists used to say Vote for Nobody! Because

Nobody Gives a Shit About You! Nobody Knows What He's Talking About! Nobody Isn't A Whore of Capital! Nobody Does What He Promises!

Vote For Nobody Because Nobody Deserves Your Vote!

Michael