[lbo-talk] LBO 2008 Dem POTUS poll

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri Dec 1 07:49:25 PST 2006

At around 1/12/06 3:09 am, Michael Pollak wrote:

>> On Nov 30, 2006, at 12:41 PM, Michael Pollak wrote:
>>
>>> I think the real revelation here is that Al Gore turns out to be
>>> lbo-talk's IRV choice.
>>
>> If you overlook the fact that head-drilling has twice as many votes.
>
> (a) That's not at all a surprise, but pretty much exactly what I
> expected; and (b) you're not overlooking it -- you're taking number 2
> because number 1 can't serve.

Right! Note a bunch of things:

1. The majority did not chose "drill holes" as their #1: Gore(21), Edwards(19) or Obama(9)

2. I am not sure if I can tell exactly how many of the "drill holes" crowd chose only "drill holes" and nothing else, but:

a) nobody chose "none of the above" after "drill holes" it seems (all 6 none of above transfers came from John Edwards!)

b) Only 4.3% of these chose "drill holes" as second choice

c) After the Round 1 Wes Clark elimination, it took till round 6 before "drill holes" got a run-off vote. In fact, in its extremely slim win (46-45) over Al Gore, "drill holes" gained only two votes through the rounds, while Gore went from 21 to 45 votes.

I have a question for someone who knows IVR: how is the least ranked candidate determined if there is a tie for last place (such as in our poll here)? Is ranking weighted by ballot positions, at least for the bottom and hence elimination?

--ravi