[lbo-talk] LBO spouses

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Dec 4 10:24:49 PST 2006

Ravi:

The more intriguing question is why do I post to mailing lists? I think the reason is that I am weaker than her... rather than accept my unwillingness to act I hope to (pretend to) be doing something worthwhile in the midst of pursuing my default activity (Internet anything). In this way, I can also pretend to have or be part of a community.

[WS:] Interesting, that is the main reason I post to mailing list as well - it give me an illusion of being a part of community. When I came to Baltimore in 1992, most of my friends here were international post doc fellows, but since we have not been getting many of them lately, my social life went to the dogs. For some reason I do not relate well to native locals, so mailing lists (and travel) are a substitute.

As to my (current) spouse's views: she is pretty much a bread and butter Democrat. We differ a bit on social issues - she is in favor of welfare and its clients but against illegal immigration, I am the opposite; she likes popkultur and various Americana (such as Bruce Springsteen, diners, or drive-in theaters) - I do not, I like exotic food - she does not, she likes small businesses - I do not. She does not post to mailing lists because of her Germanic sense of work and efficiency - she considers it an utter waste of time.

PS. I do not think I'd marry a right-winger or a fundie or even a mainstream Repug (except perhaps of a libertarian variety.)

Wojtek