[lbo-talk] Tiger Woods to build his first course in Dubai

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Tue Dec 5 14:12:21 PST 2006

Reuters.com

Woods to build his first course in Dubai http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=sportsNews&storyID=2006-12-03T210840Z_01_L03348770_RTRUKOC_0_US-GOLF-WOODS.xml&WTmodLoc=SportsNewsHome_C2_sportsNews-1

Sun Dec 3, 2006

By Tony Jimenez

LONDON (Reuters) - World number one Tiger Woods, who launched his own design company last month, is to create his first course in Dubai.

"Why Dubai? Because I am excited about the challenge of transforming a desert terrain into a world-class golf course," Woods said in a news release issued on Sunday.

"I have a vision of creating something that is uniquely mine...and I want to realize this vision in Dubai."

The new development will include a 7,700-yard, par-72 championship course, golf academy, clubhouse, 80-suite hotel for VIP guests, 300 luxury villas, 20 mansions and a community retail area.

The complex will be designed by Tiger Woods Design and developed by Tatweer, a member of Dubai Holding.

It is scheduled for completion in late 2009 over an area of 25 million square feet at Dubailand, the region's largest tourism and leisure project. Mohammed Al Gergawi, Minister of State for Cabinet Affairs and executive chairman of Dubai Holding, said: "This initiative reinforces the great development pace Dubai has achieved within diverse domains to become one of the most recognized cities in the world."

Tiger Woods Design says its aims are to elevate the standards of golf course design and create enjoyable, challenging layouts worldwide.

Woods, 30, won this year's Dubai Desert Classic, beating Ernie Els in a playoff, and is due to return to defend his title in February.

According to the terms of his agreement with the tournament promoters, the American will play in the event at least three times in the next four years.

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.