[lbo-talk] Reyes: send more troops

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 6 09:29:21 PST 2006

>From: "B.K. DeLong" <bkdelong at pobox.com>
>
>It seems to me that the more troops we have, the less of our troops
>will die because there will be more people to catch IEDs, find
>insurgents, save injured troops etc.
>
>Totally contrary to what my liberal self was saying a few months back.
>
>Am I crazy?

Short answer, yes. Sending in more troops would simply further inflame Iraqi resentment and create yet more targets for IEDs, snipers, etc.

America's military presence in Iraq is the disease for which it purports to be a cure. It seems to be an especially American characteristic to try to treat a disorder with an agent especially likely to aggravate that disorder.

One of Slavoj Zizek's more helpful contributions to public debate is his use of chocolate Ex-Lax a trope for that dynamic.

E.g., Zizek invoked the image earlier this year in discussing the notion of capitalists like George Soros and Bill Gates making up for their stolen wealth by doing good works:

"There is a chocolate-flavoured laxative available on the shelves of US stores which is publicised with the paradoxical injunction: Do you have constipation? Eat more of this chocolate! – i.e. eat more of something that itself causes constipation. The structure of the chocolate laxative can be discerned throughout today’s ideological landscape; it is what makes a figure like Soros so objectionable. He stands for ruthless financial exploitation combined with its counter-agent, humanitarian worry about the catastrophic social consequences of the unbridled market economy. Soros’s daily routine is a lie embodied: half of his working time is devoted to financial speculation, the other half to ‘humanitarian’ activities (financing cultural and democratic activities in post-Communist countries, writing essays and books) which work against the effects of his own speculations. The two faces of Bill Gates are exactly like the two faces of Soros: on the one hand, a cruel businessman, destroying or buying out competitors, aiming at a virtual monopoly; on the other, the great philanthropist who makes a point of saying: ‘What does it serve to have computers if people do not have enough to eat?’"

<http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n07/zize01_.html>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ WIN up to $10,000 in cash or prizes – enter the Microsoft Office Live Sweepstakes http://clk..atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0050001581mrt/direct/01/