[lbo-talk] Reyes: send more troops

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Wed Dec 6 10:00:12 PST 2006

On Dec 6, 2006, at 11:29 AM, Carl Remick wrote:

> E.g., Zizek invoked the image earlier this year in discussing the
> notion of capitalists like George Soros and Bill Gates making up for
> their stolen wealth by doing good works:
>
> "There is a chocolate-flavoured laxative available on the shelves of
> US stores which is publicised with the paradoxical injunction: Do you
> have constipation? Eat more of this chocolate! – i.e. eat more of
> something that itself causes constipation. The structure of the
> chocolate laxative can be discerned throughout today’s ideological
> landscape; it is what makes a figure like Soros so objectionable. He
> stands for ruthless financial exploitation combined with its
> counter-agent, humanitarian worry about the catastrophic social
> consequences of the unbridled market economy. Soros’s daily routine is
> a lie embodied: half of his working time is devoted to financial
> speculation, the other half to ‘humanitarian’ activities (financing
> cultural and democratic activities in post-Communist countries,
> writing essays and books) which work against the effects of his own
> speculations. The two faces of Bill Gates are exactly like the two
> faces of Soros: on the one hand, a cruel businessman, destroying or
> buying out competitors, aiming at a virtual monopoly; on the other,
> the great philanthropist who makes a point of saying: ‘What does it
> serve to have computers if people do not have enough to eat?’"

He'll be cheered by this, then: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/51595

WASHINGTON, DC—The Bush Administration unveiled a new $64 billion spending package Monday for a joint CIA–Pentagon program aimed at neutralizing the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation's global humanitarian network.

"The fight against Gates will not be easy, will not be quick, and will not be without enormous cost," said Director Of National Intelligence John D. Negroponte of the new program, which calls for the creation of a new $20 billion counter-philanthropy unit aimed at punishing those countries that accept or use, directly or indirectly, any financial support from the Gates Foundation.

"If they want to use this money to purify a well, we will be there to fill it in with bacteria-infested soil before they get the chance," Negroponte said. "If they want to ensure that millions of children receive immunity shots for typhoid, whooping cough, or diphtheria, we will ensure that country's medicine is never received."