[lbo-talk] Putin: Russians love him!

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 14:19:02 PST 2006

On 12/6/06, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Yoshie Furuhashi <critical.montages at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Your favorable view of Russia, as well as that of
> > China, certainly
> > doesn't square with the rest of your politics,
> > especially in West
> > Asia, though I welcome this deviation, for what's
> > good for Russia and
> > China is good for populist Islamists in the region,
> > Venezuela, Cuba,
> > etc. :->
> > --
> >

> Well, I have mixed views on the Iranian government
> (whom I assume you are refering to), though I no doubt
> have a less negative view of it than Doug does, but
> China and Russia are not theocracies. ;) Moreover,
> Russia is a liberal democratic country, albeit one
> with a subject culture, and China is a one-party
> dictatorship, but both are solidly in the Enlightenment.

As you know, I don't think of liberal democracy as the ideal and think of political liberalism as the check on political and economic democracy, though liberal democracy certainly beats liberal plutocracy, to say nothing of illiberal plutocracy which the USA is becoming. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>