[lbo-talk] Mel Gibson, declinist

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Dec 7 10:36:40 PST 2006

New York Post [Page Six] - December 7, 2006

"THE things that happened right before their downfall are occurring in our society right now. People think that modern man is so enlightened, but we're susceptible to the same forces" - Mel Gibson telling Jeanne Wolf of Movies.com about the Mayan civilization depicted in his "Apocalypto."

[one only had to look a little down the page to discover...]

Steer Heaven

NEW York might not have the tallest building in the world any more, but we can boast the most expensive steak. Nello on Madison Avenue is serving up Kobe Wagyu steaks flown in from Japan for the artery- exploding price of $750, or $53.57 per ounce. Accompanied with white truffles, it's $1,050. This is the tenderloin from steers fattened up on beer, and massaged. Lisa Gastineau, who tried one over a blondes- only lunch with Ivana Trump and Dara Sowell, was asked if it was better than sex. "I don't know about that," Gastineau laughed. "But it's worth breaking my diet for."