[lbo-talk] Bush Backs Away From 2 Key Ideas of Panel on Iraq

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 13:46:39 PST 2006

> On Dec 8, 2006, at 4:04 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> > Bush's invasion would then be a
> > tactical, not strategic, mistake. The goal is to clean up the tactic
> > while holding to the strategy of controlling mideast oil &
> > geopolitical
> > importance.
>
> Oh I agree that it's a tactical, not a strategic mistake. But it's
> always possible that the U.S. could really be suffering a serious
> defeat that ends in a reduction or even loss of "control" of Middle
> East oil. What would happen, say, if a chain of chaotic events led to
> the fall of the Saudi monarchy? All hell could break loose.

Most of the US power elite probably think that, if the US troops left Iraq "without honor," Arabs get emboldened and may topple pro-Washington governments in the region, including the Saudi monarchy, even though staying in Iraq might raise the likelihood of "all hell breaking loose" higher. That's why they are likely to wrangle for years and years, in search of "peace with honor," or "a new, feasible plan of our own" in the words of Kenneth M. Pollack.

Americans need to stand up and, through their actions, make the power elite understand that there is no such plan, nor do they want one. But that won't come easily to them. They are trained to look to the power elite for change. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>