[lbo-talk] Bush Backs Away From 2 Key Ideas of Panel on Iraq

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Dec 8 13:15:56 PST 2006

On Dec 8, 2006, at 4:04 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Bush's invasion would then be a
> tactical, not strategic, mistake. The goal is to clean up the tactic
> while holding to the strategy of controlling mideast oil &
> geopolitical
> importance.

Oh I agree that it's a tactical, not a strategic mistake. But it's always possible that the U.S. could really be suffering a serious defeat that ends in a reduction or even loss of "control" of Middle East oil. What would happen, say, if a chain of chaotic events led to the fall of the Saudi monarchy? All hell could break loose.

By the way, reading Patrick Cockburn's book, which I'm doing in small chunks, makes it clear that the sectarian & ethnic violence in Iraq began almost immediately after Saddam fell. Lots of very bad shit was bottled up under his reign.

Doug