[lbo-talk] Bush Backs Away From 2 Key Ideas of Panel on Iraq

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 8 13:04:47 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> as Henry Hyde put it yesterday, "We need to find a way to
> get out of Iraq that doesn't cover us with dishonor." Not an easy
> task, but I'm guessing that Hyde represents the thinking of the
> governing class, and they need to make Bush come around.

Key here (and the future may or may not make all clear) is what, precisely, is connoted by "cover us with dishonor." We shall see, but I'm still holding out for the view that "dishonor" means "losing military hegemony in the Mideast." Bush's invasion would then be a tactical, not strategic, mistake. The goal is to clean up the tactic while holding to the strategy of controlling mideast oil & geopolitical importance.

Carrol