[lbo-talk] Term Crooked Politician Takes on New Meaning in India

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sun Dec 10 10:13:44 PST 2006

At around 9/12/06 6:20 pm, Chris Doss wrote:

> In my ennumeration of Kalam's crimes, I forgot to
> mention his imperialist campaign against India's
> democratic pro-Western neighbor, Pakistan. His
> shameful attempt to link the heroic Kashmiri
> freedom-fighters with Al-Qaeda is a transparent cover
> for Dehli's attempt to reassert imperial dominance
> over its former vassal. In doing so the Indian secret
> services have sunk so low as to stage several bloody
> "terrorist attacks" against their own population so
> that they could be blamed on the blameless Pakistanis,
> whose only crime is to have sought liberation from the
> historic oppression of the Indian jackboot. Is there
> anything the Indians are not capable of?
>
> If India were covered like Russia is in the British
> and US press, this is the exact kind of argument you
> would see appearing there.

Yeah, instead India is covered in the US press by an idiot like Tom Friedman, permitting a few (by Indian population measure) privileged idiots in India to feel validated (I had to deal yesterday with the nauseating paeans to Friedman in a local publication). It requires the construction and introduction of the old Pakistan bogeyman to be able to paint the activities of the powerful in India in any palatable shade. So yeah, if there is an alternative to the Tom Friedman version of the world, especially if there is one that does not permit India to always shift the real issues by pointing to Pakistan or terrorists in Kashmir (excluding itself of course), sign me up, even if its rife with hyperbole.

--ravi