[lbo-talk] What Lies Behind the Rash of Russian Poisonings?

Peter Lavelle untimely_thoughts at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 11 09:40:45 PST 2006

I would like to point out that Gaidar has gone to great lengths to play down this whole thing. If he was poisoned, he claims that it was only to hurt Russia's image in the world. And he isn't "a Kremlin critic" as most media report. He is a neo-classical economist and disagrees with Russia's current economic policies. Again, this episode is to create a media zoo.

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote: On Dec 11, 2006, at 9:49 AM, Wendy Lyon wrote:

> On 12/11/06, Michael Givel wrote:
>
>> Posted Thursday, Nov. 30, 2006 Russians learned Thursday that former
>> prime minister Yegor Gaidar, the mastermind of Russia's early 1990s
>> "shock therapy" economic reform, was poisoned last Friday in Dublin.
>> Irish doctors managed to save Gaidar from what he now calls "a threat
>> to my life."
>
> According to the Irish media, those doctors concluded he was probably
> suffering from gastro-enteritis.

Which is nothing compared to what the Russian people suffered from Gaidar.