[lbo-talk] What Lies Behind the Rash of Russian Poisonings?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Dec 11 09:48:30 PST 2006

On Dec 11, 2006, at 12:40 PM, Peter Lavelle wrote:

> I would like to point out that Gaidar has gone to great lengths to
> play down this whole thing. If he was poisoned, he claims that it
> was only to hurt Russia's image in the world. And he isn't "a
> Kremlin critic" as most media report. He is a neo-classical
> economist and disagrees with Russia's current economic policies.

His policies helped produce one of the greatest social collapses in modern history. Current Russian economic policies, which have admittedly gotten a lift from high oil prices, have reversed the slide. Gaidar should stop, um, bellyaching. In a just world, he'd be living on a WW II vet's pension.

Doug