[lbo-talk] why the water will soon be around our ankles

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 10:09:47 PST 2006

On 12/11/06, Andy F <andy274 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/10/06, John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> It sounded like the heat was centrally controlled and the AC not.
> There's nothing unusual about this -- the crude version is to open a
> window when the heat is too high. I've done it too.

Sure - but Carrol seem to suggest there might be a reason why it might be technically neccesary. Probably what is happening is that the heating system distributes unevenly, so they have to keep it too hot in some parts of the building to keep other parts from freezing. (If that is not the case then there is no excuse.) In other words no one is suggesting that this is uncommon; we are suggesting it is unlikely the system does this by intentional design, which is the implication of the way Carrol phrased his comments i.e.:

> I strongly suspect that there are in fact good technical reasons for mixing cooled and heated air.

He may not have intended the interpretation John and I made of his comment.

-- Please note: Personal messages should be sent to [garlpublic] followed by the [at] sign with isp of [comcast], then [dot] and then an extension of net