[lbo-talk] world improved when you want to lick a computer

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Mon Dec 11 19:04:16 PST 2006

At around 11/12/06 10:49 pm, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Ha. Reading this on my sleek white iMac with my sleek black iPod on the
> desk next to me, I couldn't agree more! And the look of OS X is pure
> sleekness too, as are the iPod screens. The contrast is sharpened by the
> clunky-looking HP printer and hideously boxy external LaCie drive
> sitting on either side of the iMac. But why is it so hard? Why can't
> other computer & gadget makers match Apple's mastery of the commodity
> fetish? Why does it mostly look like crap?

Bah, whatever... you guys are talking about hardware, which to me is inherently ugly ;-). Software is where beauty lies. Plus the iPod (a hard disk in a sexy package and weird UI) is like a Harley Davidson! More a fashion accessory than a useful device.

It is a matter of tragic humour to me that the winner in the OS wars is neither of the two powerful poles (Apple on the one hand -- we known what's best for you -- and *nix on the other -- we'll give you enough rope to shoot yourself in the foot) but a strange bastard child that is the worst of both worlds (Windows). But I am shifting the discussion...

--ravi