[lbo-talk] Slaves and their instruments - was/ poor underpaid CEOs

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Dec 14 13:06:54 PST 2006

On Dec 14, 2006, at 2:08 PM, Jerry Monaco wrote:

> But since I read this passage carefully I have read a lot about
> slavery in Rome during the time of the Repubic and empire and I have
> to say it does not match what I have read.

I know very little about this history of slavery, but doesn't it matter what kind of larger system slavery is embedded in? While slavery in the US south provided important cotton feedstocks to the mills of Manchester, I'm guessing that it was not something that could survive forever in an industrializing capitalist economy. In other systems, productivity and growth are not the central aims of economic activity as they are under capitalism.

It's always cheap to make a joke about a typo, but "Re:pubic" looks like the title of a self-referential cult stud essay on the sex biz.