It's Greek To Me (Was Re: [lbo-talk] slavery and technology)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 16 19:36:41 PST 2006

I have been teaching law this year, and I make my students (a) learn the Latin and Law French expressions that lawyers and pretentous jurists use and (b) translate them into plain English so they know they really understand them. "So what does respondeat superior mean in words of less than one syllable?" I told them that the law is loaded with that sort of stuff partly because of the long history of the common law, which used to be carried out in Latin and Law French, but mainly because it makes lawyers seem like they are really smart to use expressions in languages they don't understand. (After four years of college I got a diploma in a language I could barely recall bits of from my Catholic school years. . . .) Fodor's a total fraud about this, I don't believe he knows Latin at all.