[lbo-talk] slavery and technology

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sat Dec 16 18:59:25 PST 2006

At around 16/12/06 6:51 am, joanna wrote:

> (But, in my dissertation I did translate all my latin and greek
> quotes....as should everyone who doesn't have a giant stick up their
> butts.)

Indeed. Forget quoting Latin or Greek... it's worse: the peppering of phrases within sentences, for which English equivalents (of roughly similar length) are available. I am struggling through a small book by Jerry Fodor right now and have to keep Googling for Latin phrases every half page ;-). I would give most such use the benefit of the doubt, but my suspicion arises from similar usage of language with which I am more familiar (not less): uses of words and phrases of Sanskrit or Indian origin in the West, many of which are both gratuitous and at best off-base. Of course language can be used as a device without resort to exotica, as Carrol demonstrates with "clarity fetishists"!!! (I am equally unhappy with opposing labels such as "obscurantist" which only begs the question).

--ravi