[lbo-talk] A Case for Difficulty and/or Prolixity

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 08:11:35 PST 2006

This is a great post.

Just a few amendments. I think that Chomsky is self-reflexive and is very aware of his limitations. That is why he often points to other kinds of "intellectuals" that should be the ones we know about and listen to. That is why he has often acknowledge that he is writing to the relatively privileged and often says to them that if they don't realize they are privileged they are simply deceiving themselves.

I have mentioned the kinds of "alternative" intellectuals he admires before. He talks about such "organic" intellectuals (but not in these Gramscian terms) often. He says constantly, that they should be the ones who are admired, and whose notions should be debated, and not his notions on politics... certainly not his alone.

But look at Carrol's locution in his opening sentence. He calls Chomsky "a hero of the anti-imperialist effort". This is in fact correct, but its correctness is unfortunate for Chomsky. He realizes it is unfortunate, and he realizes also that he works hard at what he does, so that this unfortunate position of his is in some sense his doing. He constantly says that the only reason his position is unique is because people hunger for people to say the things he is saying, and that in fact thousands of other people should be doing the kinds of things he is doing, and could probably do it better. (False modesty? Sincere modesty? In fact his modesty is in someway actually part of the problem.) But he has been unable to analyze the kind of "celebrity" and "heroism" and "star worship" that our cultural system constantly creates. He criticizes it and acknowledges it, but he has no analysis of it the way such intellectuals such as Sartre. did when he constantly reflected upon the the limitations and boundaries of his position as an intellectual.

This is what Carrol is pointing to when he says that Chomsky "doesn't know himself." But I think that if you think about how he constantly writes about the hypocrisy and ideology of intelligentsia you will see that the problem isn't that he doesn't know himself, it is that he wants is to completely divorce himself from the star-system that our intelligentsia functions within, He thus thinks that it is only giving into the whole mishigosh if you analyze yourself (personally) within it, in the way that say a Sartre did or a Gramsci implied an intellectual should. This I think is a mistake on his part, but it is a slightly different kind of mistake than Carrol is claiming.

Jerry